FOSSIL FUEL TRANSPORTATION
Summary of Methodology
Transparency Index™ methodology applies the exclusionary screening process to filter out industries that do not align with a positive impact on investment performance and the well-being of people.
Description of Industry
Fossil Fuel Transportation industry is comprised of companies using coal, crude oil and natural gas to provide air freight transportation, courier and logistics services and mail delivery, passenger air transportation and goods or passenger maritime, rail or land transportation.
Fossil Fuel Transportation industry, as defined by the GICS sub-industry classification (transportation), includes Air Freight and Logistics, Airline, Railroad and Trucking.
Number of Companies
Number of Fossil Fuel Transportation companies in the S&P 500: 9
- 20% Global Greenhouse Gases Emitted by transportation industry.1
- Fossil Fuel Air Pollution Kills 1 in 5 People – More than HIV, tuberculosis and malaria combined.2
- ~7000 Invasive Species Spread Daily3 by maritime transportation industry. Annual cost of invasive species = $26 billion.4
- +8.7 Million Annual Cancer and Disease Cases linked to Fossil Fuels.5
The Transparency Index 5-year cumulative dollarized return is 2.2 times higher than the S&P 500 Fossil Fuel Transportation Portfolio.
- The graph shows cumulative returns for the period from October 1, 2016 to September 30, 2021*
- Starting value $10,000 hypothetical investment, assuming no withdrawal and no dividends
- Past performance is not an indicator of future performance
- View Annualized Returns*
*The Transparency 100 Index (the “Index”) commenced on June 16th, 2021 following the market close. All information presented prior to this date is back-tested. Back-tested performance is hypothetical performance, not actual performance. Back-tested performance is prepared by retrospectively applying the Index methodology to historical information with the benefit of hindsight. Back-tested performance, therefore, does not reflect the results of actual trading. Back-tested, as well as actual performance, are not indicative of future results. The back-tested performance uses the same methodology that was in effect when the Index officially launched on June 16th, 2021. The back-tested performance shown in this presentation are unaudited, and do not reflect the investment of dividends or other earnings. The Index does not reflect the reinvestment of dividends.
Reason for Exclusion
Fossil Fuel Transportation industry is excluded from Transparency Index due to negative impact on investment performance and the well-being of people.